Monday 1 October 2018

Photo Essay: Cheetah


This is super mum! She is raising an incredible four cubs & doing an incredible job. Incredibly I came across her & her cubs a couple of weeks ago on my way to Punda Maria to meet up with Tom & Jacky.


The previous time, she had killed an Impala & had hauled it under a bush for the cubs to feed on. Photography was not too good because of distance & the situation. Not so today though, as they were right by the side of the main road a few kilometers north of Letaba Camp.


The cubs were very relaxed & were curious by people in the cars! We all enjoyed prolonged close up views.















Cheetahs appear to be slowly declining in Kruger National Park. With recent census figures revealing only around 200 animals. No one seems to know why this is happening. An increase in Lion numbers has been blamed but without any firm evidence.





Certainly where I live in the south of the park I see Cheetahs less & less. When I first bought the house in 2002 Cheetah sightings were regular, but now I can go two or more weeks without a sighting.




All four cubs were thriving & this was for me the highlight of this little trip into the park.




Let us hope she raises them all to maturity, which would be an incredible feat.

No comments:

Post a Comment