Saturday 19 May 2012

Yanky Doodle Dandy!

Friday, 18th & dawn sees me birding around the MPG's. It is quite a pleasant morning, although hot, not too humid. Marsh Warblers call from virtually every bush & tree. I eventually total 117 birds. There not much variety this late in the season though: 2 Common Nightingale; 4 Upcher's; 2 Common Whitethroat; 2 Willow Warblers & 2 Blackcaps being the pick of the bunch.

I set out & meet up with Carol for breakfast at the Club. We plan our day - perfect! We go shopping for among others things a new pocket, compact camera for my forthcoming trip. The phone rings & my day is turned upside down in dramatic fashion! Oscar, is on the line, he thinks he has got a White-rumped Sandpiper, at the Al Ain Water Treatment Plant! A first for the UAE! He calls back, they have just seen the white rump. I am on my way! Luckily for me, I had all my gear in the car,(Carol came down in our other car), so I don't waste time by having to go home first. I burn down the highway, probably going too fast for the Yaris's capabilities! I arrive to be informed the gates have just closed! I can see the bird in the heat haze, but not very good views. Huw drives me around to the main gate & he has permission to enter. We are in!

We find the bird and enjoy great, prolonged views. It is an adult coming into summer plumage. It sure is a long way from home. Infact, it is exactly half way round the world from where it should be! A great find Oscar -well done! Very reminescent of the Lesser Yellowlegs I found in Al Ain in 2007, which stayed for many months, for nearly everyone to get to grips with.

Khalifa takes a shot through my telescope, using his I- Phone! Quite a good result really! It really is a little far for my 400mm lens, but I take shots anyway!

Photo courtesy of Khalifa

Photo courtesy of Khalifa
Photo courtesy of Khalifa
Size comparison next to 2 Terek Sandpipers.
Photo courtesy of Huw Roberts.

Photo courtesy of Huw Roberts.
Photo courtesy of Huw Roberts.
Photo courtesy of Huw Roberts.
These are my best efforts!
 A bit dark & heavily cropped!

White-rumped Sandpiper,
size comparison with other waders.


 
1 species added (289 species total): 380 kms travelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment