Friday 11 April 2014

It's my birthday!

Well actually it isn't! Today is 11th April, which is the day of the party, but my birthday is actually the next day, which is a Saturday. Saturday party's are not as convenient for people here in Abu Dhabi, as the Islamic weekend is Friday/Saturday, which means one has to return to work on Sunday morning! Strange for most of you, but we have got used to it.
It will be my 59th year & I have planned it to be a big birding year with trips to SE China/Taiwan; Sulawesi/Halmahera; Sabah, Borneo & Colombia! Not to mention my frequent forays to my home in South Africa. That is the plan anyway, let's see how it pans out.
I still haven't quite got over the jet lag from my flight from Boston earlier in the week. It is an eight hour time difference & flying from west to east is the worst. You seem to be OK travelling the other way. I wonder why? Which means I have been wide awake since 4.30 am this morning! A few little jobs to do for the party this morning but then the staff from The Club arrive & start setting things up, so I shouldn't have to do much.
 
Myself & Neil.

Neil Tovey is travelling down from Dubai, as it will be a joint party, as he is leaving the UAE after eight years, to take up a position in Kuwait. I can feel a trip for Afghan Babbler coming on already!
Clare & Ahmed are here of course, but so is Rowan & her boyfriend, Ceggy. (No, that is not his real name, but it will do). It is nice to have them around. I don't see as much of her as before, as she is still at Brighton University, but finishes this June. Then we plan to go to South Africa on safari.
 
 
Rowan & Clare with their Daddy!
I really must get that tooth fixed!

Clare

Mr & Mrs Faraa.

Rowan

Rowan & Ceggy.

Rowan & Clare.
Angela
Jacky
 
Just a few shots early on. I forgot to take anymore later! Around 35 people turned up & I received some very nice cards & presents! Thank you guys! Everyone seemed to have a good time & I finally got into my pit at 5 am!
 
My precious! All mine!
Behind my bar.

When I returned from birding on the 12th, Clare had cooked a nice evening meal for me. Yummy! Thanks Clare! 


1 comment:

  1. Have a great birthday Steve.
    We are looking forward to meeting up soon.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete