Saturday 18 June 2016

Songimvelo Game Reserve

I had booked four nights in the tented camp at Songimvelo, south of Barberton, on the Swaziland border. The office gave me directions, but they sent me to the wrong gate & I waited & waited but no-one showed up. I called them to find I had a drive of a further 62 kms to get to the other gate.

Me waiting at the wrong gate! Thanks a lot, office!
This is middle veld country: very scenic.
I did find a flock of 18 Southern Bald Ibis
on the way to the reserve!

 They had stopped using this gate a couple of weeks before. Thanks guys really helpful! I drove around & transferred to the Humala Lodge Tented Camp on the banks of the Komati River. It was a lovely drive in the afternoon sun & I saw four White Rhino in the far distance (the only ones of this trip)!
Humala Lodge Tented Camp.
Komati River


My tent!
And I had an electric blanket!
The bathroom was just grand! 
Complete with outdoor shower!
Mocking Chats were around the camp.
Female.
The camp is in a wonderful setting the the tents, (if one may call them that) were very comfortable indeed.

This reserve is 49,000 hectares amid the very scenic Barberton Mountains. It is a stunning landscape rich in biodiversity (over 1,500 species of plants)!  It holds a good variety of game species, but both Cape Buffalo & Elephant proved elusive for me!

Dawn.


A dark individual
A rather pale one.
Springbok
Getting around the reserve, in an open topped vehicle
 is always a lot of fun!
Springbok Flats







Secretarybird

Picnic on the Springbok Flats.




Blesbok


Eland




Zitting Cisticola

The next morning was up early & on a game drive with Tandy my guide & driver for my stay. She proved to be a keen birder & guide & we had a great few days together.

Tandy - hoping to be a 
good birder one day!


White breasted Cormorant nesting along the river.
African Darter
A young African Pied Wagtail




Kudu






Red Hartebeest




Striped Pipit


Familiar Chat
Golden breasted Bunting

No comments:

Post a Comment