Friday 22 December 2017

Sabie Park & Kruger National Park.


The park was empty, as it was just before
 the school holidays.

Skukuza was still quite green though.

It is always nice to be back. This is my home now.

The Sabie River.


Spotted Hyaena


I came across this animal early one morning.



I arrived back home on 14th November, the environment was still very dry as the rains had not yet arrived. However a heavy period of rain over the next few days brought a slight change as the green season had finally began.

The river from Lower Sabie Camp.


I was here primarily for Angie & Ryan's wedding in Franschoek in the Cape Region on 25th November but I had a few days before I set off on the long drive, & what better why to spend time than making excursions into Kruger National Park.

The view from Nkumbe Lookout, 
just after two days of rain.


The smaller rivers were dry though.

Elephants were still concentrating 
around available water.











White Rhino

Cape Buffalo



Young males sparring.

Egyptian Geese

Their chicks seemed to be surviving.


Knob billed Duck
White faced Whistling Duck

Crowned Plover.

Kudu


Waterbuck











Burchell's Zebra

Impalas had just given birth.


Recently born.


White backed Vulture.


Lappet faced Vulture








Steppe Buzzard


Yellow billed Kite


Amur Falcons


One day I came across a pair of Lions mating.














He follows!










A young Leopard
Mother was asleep close by.


Female Spotted Hyaena




She had two young cubs






Chewing on an old bone.









Swainson's Francolin


Purple Roller


European Roller, an abundant 
summer visitor.


The river looking from Sabie Park.


I never tire of looking at this river!




My new roof! It looks nice!


Evening light over my land.

A family of Giraffe spent a lot of time on my land.




Male Nyala


The highlight of my stay: a group of six Nyala,
which spent many afternoons on my land!


These are visitors from the national park. 
Been around for a couple of months now.


Females.




Female Bushbuck


That is the edge of my veranda!


In my driveway!


Grey Duiker on my land.


Baboons are an ever present
 & a potential menace!


Flat backed Tortoise, one of three species
 found in Sabie Park.


A few White Storks are now around.


Hadada Ibis.


This species regularly wakes me up
 before dawn!


African Goshawk


A regular visitor to my land.





Fiery-necked Nightjar


This individual was on the road by my house.


Cardinal Woodpecker excavating a hole.


Jacobin Cuckoo


Mainly a summer visitor to Sabie Park.


Giant Kingfisher


Pied Kingfisher is common along the river.


Grey-headed Kingfisher


An uncommon summer migrant.


White Helmetshrike


White-throated Robin


Red backed Shrike, 
a common summer migrant.


Chinspot Batis




Red headed Weaver


Hi! From a hot Sabie Park!


Long Tom Pass


Wonderful scenery along this route.


Dullstroom

I left home early on 18th December & drove slowly to Jo'berg, via the very scenic Long Tom Pass & Dullstroom. It was a magnificent day & a fitting end to a lovely trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment