Monday 5 February 2018

Photo Essay: Black Rhino

Black Rhino (Diceros bicornis)


Namibia is home to the world's largest population of free ranging Black Rhino. Formerly the range of this species was widespread, but through poaching for rhino horn, it is today much reduced & confined to eastern & southern African countries.


Certainly the vast Etosha National Park is a stronghold for this species & in my few days there I saw 13 different individual Rhinos. Most in the daytime! In Kruger NP where I spend a lot of my time I have had two sightings in all those years!

All species of Rhino have favourite rubbing sticks.
They are used so regularly that they are shiny!



Poaching is a major problem & in South Africa it is almost a war, with both poachers & rangers been shot & killed. It is a rare privilege to see this species so well & so often.


This individual has had its horns removed by park officials, in an attempt to prevent poaching.










One of the weaknesses of all Rhino species is that they have to drink everyday & often come down to the same waterhole daily. This makes them an easy target for poachers.



This was the outstanding highlight for me in Etosha National Park. I can't wait to return!

No comments:

Post a Comment